Fairy Meadows in Diamer (Gilgit Baltistan) is a gorgeous, pristine valley surrounded by some of the world’s tallest hills like Nanga Parbat. Locals call the meadow “Joot” which translates to “Grassland“. The earliest European explorers who visited the area named it Fairy Meadows because of its wonderful beauty.
Location & Geography
Fairy Meadows is situated in the Raikot Valley, at the foot of Nanga Parbat. The valley is flanked by steep peaks that rise above sea level to more than 7,000 metres. The meadow is located at an elevation of around 3,300 metres and has an area of roughly 2.3 square kilometres. It’s location makes it an ideal getaway for anyone seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
Best Time to Visit Fairy Meadows
Fairy Meadows is best visited during the summer months, which run from May through September. The weather is favourable throughout these months, and the meadow is covered in lush green grass and wildflowers. The meadow is covered in snow throughout the winter months, which last from November to February. Yet, if you are an experienced trekker looking for the thrill of snow trekking, visiting in winter could be an amazing experience.
How to Reach Fairy Meadows
It is not easy for one to reach, but it is well worth the effort. The journey combines road and trekking segments. The first stage is to travel to Chilas, which is around 11-12 hours away from Islamabad. You would need to lease a 4×4 jeep from Chilas to get to Tattu village. The rocky jeep trip can take up to 4-5 hours. Once you arrive in Tattu, it would take you around 3-4 hours to reach destination.
Distance from Hunza and Islamabad
The distance from Islamabad is about 480 kilometres. The road trip takes approximately 11-12 hours. The road trip from Hunza to Fairy Meadows is around 100 kilometres long and takes approximately 4-5 hours.
Route from Islamabad
The journey from Islamabad to Fairy Meadows includes a long drive on the Karakoram Highway, one of the world’s most magnificent highways. The route goes through some of Pakistan’s most beautiful landscapes, including the Hunza Valley, Rakaposhi Mountain, and Attabad Lake. The journey to Fairy Meadows from Chilas includes a rocky 4×4 vehicle ride and a hike.
Where to Stay During Your Visit
Fairy Meadows is a lovely site for those interested in experiencing Pakistan’s natural beauty. While there are no hotels on the meadow itself, there are various possibilities for lodging nearby like:
- Fairy Meadows Cottages (Nearest) – comfortable accommodation in Tattu village with private bathroom and hot water facility.
- Glacier Breeze Hotel – comfortable rooms in Raikot with beautiful mountain views and food/trekking gear for visitors.
- Eagle’s Nest Hotel – comfortable rooms in Duikar village with stunning mountain views and food/trekking gear for visitors.
- Hunza Embassy Hotel – Hotel in Hunza (Karimabad), offering comfortable accommodation and great views of the surrounding mountains.
Fairy Meadows in Winter and Summer
Fairy Meadows is lovely in both the summer and winter. During the summer, the meadow is rich green with grass and wildflowers, and the weather is nice. During the winter, the meadow is blanketed in snow, and the surrounding peaks are even more spectacular. But, visiting this Meadows in the winter demands a great deal of experience and planning.
Also Check: Top Must See Places in Pakistan
Tips for Visiting
- Arrange your vacation in advance, including transportation, lodging, and trekking equipment.
- If you’re not an experienced hiker, get a guide.
- Prepare for the weather by packing appropriately.
- Respect the local norms and culture.
- Keep hydrated and pack enough food for your journey.
- Respect the environment and leave no trace.
- Take in the spectacular vistas and tranquil atmosphere.
It is an earthly paradise just waiting to be discovered. Its stunning surroundings, tranquil ambiance, and challenging hiking paths make it a favourite destination for visitors from all over the world. Although getting to there takes some work, the journey is well worth it. We hope that this guide has provided you with all of the information you need to organise your visit to Fairy Meadows and enjoy the enchantment of this wonderful valley.